Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Pillowman

Yesterday I saw The Pillowman. It was exceptional. I can't believe how many good plays are on Broadway at the moment, usually the better shows are off Broadway.
Billy Crudup and Jeff Goldblum were in this production directed by John Crowley. The writer, Martin McDonagh also wrote The Beauty Queen of Leenane.
The set was extraordinary. The way the stories were 'played out' above the main stage were seamless, and fitted perfectly with the dream/nightmare dark themes of the play. I loved the stories within the play, they were witty and dark, the better ones: The story of the little girl who wanted to be Jesus, Little Green Pig, The Pillowman and the story of Katurian Katurian Katurian's childhood. There was even one there for me about chopped off digits, but this one was about chopped off toes, not thumbs - but I didn't really like that particular story.

www.pillowmanonbroadway.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya,
I saw Pillowman in London when it was on at the National - it was amazing.
Hope you're having a fun weekend,
x

Anonymous said...

I want my own pillowman

The Peeler said...

But the Pillowman is a very sad figure who travels back in time to help little children commit suicide so that don't lead sad lives when they grow up.