Thursday, August 18, 2005

The autobiographical fiction
Bret Easton Ellis reading and book launch at Barnes & Noble Union Square
Last night I went to see BEE read from his newest book Lunar Park. I also had him sign it and another old one just after the reading.
The only things I asked him about was the movie version of Glamorama and I also asked him to write something random inside one of my books. He looked up to the B&N man over seeing the event where strict rules were made very clear before the reading ("Bret will only be signing his name, there will be no personalisation") and intimidated by the B&N man, BEE shook his head and said "Sorry, I'm not allowed, if you come to the reading I'm doing at Coliseum Books, I can do it". Who would have thought a man who is renowed for his texts of violence and misogyny is actually scared of the B&N man.
BEE seemed like someone on anti-depressants. He had this totally fake persona, seemingly really enjoying the reading, responding to tedious questions and having hundreds of books to sign for his sadistic fans. He seemed 'troubled' almost to be there. I was very suspicious of his enjoyment of the evening. To me, he really just seemed like someone who had stepped right out of his books.
I did however start reading Lunar Park this afternoon and I love it. I've only read 25 pages so far, but it seems like a Charlie Kaufman (as in the whole Adaptation thing) meets classic BEE.



No comments: