Saturday, December 08, 2007

Art Basel Diary: Saturday

• Eat pear & 2 yoghurts
• We then head to some random café for the boys to eat breakfast
• Go to Art Basel
• PT has a fit and refuses to pay $30 entry. ND & I are really confused and don’t quite understand what his problem is
• ND & I go inside & leave PT at the cigar bar
• We start by doing the Art Nova circle
• Major Basel trends: neon lights (so over that), slow motion popcorn, fake convenience stores with empty packages, animal headed people usually having sex, chocolate santas with butt plugs (Paul McCarthy of course..)
• Find Galerie Kamel Mennour. Christine Rebet’s work is excellent & I get very excited. Say hello to Marie-Sophie. Turns out Christine is there & I meet her. Yah! She talks us through her latest work and we talk about organising a visit to her studio.
• Visit the ‘major’ galleries. Gagosian disappoints showing humdrum works as are many other galleries
• Do Super Nova section last. Say hello to Spencer who turns out to be showing some amazing artists. Feel bad as I was supposed to bring him a snack and I forgot to
• Meet back up with PT who is back in the pool at the Raleigh. We sit there for a bit and see a blimp go past.
• Grab middle eastern quick bite
• I leave the boys and head to Art Positions. Introduce myself to Sarah Gavlak and talk about Anthony James
• Visit the ‘Silent Sound’ listening chamber last. Perfect way to end an intense day of art hunting
• Walk back to the apt along the beach with my feet in the water. It’s cooler now & I feel completely at peace with the world. Random people on the beach start talking to me – I think they recognize a shared clearness
• Get back to ND’s place & pass out on the bed
• Somehow muster energy to go out for dinner
• At dinner we have a heated debate about authenticity in art, uniqueness, plato’s cave. Then I start talking about Lacan’s schizophrenia just because I am obsessed with it.
• Head to some club close by. They are playing a mix of Chris Isaak’s Wicked Game dubbed with something else.
• There is a horse hanging from the ceiling
• Sam sends a msg to meet at boom boom room

No comments: